Sunday, October 11, 2015

"Why the hell did you do it?"

Tai Mendenhall 2014


My name is Tai Mendenhall; I am an associate professor here at the University of Minnesota. I did my undergraduate here in Family Social Science, then went away for my master-degree, and then came back for my Ph.D.  I went away again for my clinical internship in a residency/medical family therapy training site. I originally joined the University of Minnesota as a faculty member in a research associate post in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health (in the Medical School); that was in 2003. I later transitioned to an assistant professor in there, and was then courted back to Family Social Science in 2012 (in the College of Education and Human Development). In 2015, I was promoted to associate professor.





"All I did was school"





 When I first started undergrad I was kind of like a lot of 18 year olds with a Y-chromosome. I mean, I wasn’t ready for college, and I didn’t do so well with my grades. I ended up dropping out for a couple semesters to grow up, and when I came back I really did well in terms of my motivation and direction. And while I didn’t know it yet, I went over to the other extreme. All I did was school; I was a straight “A” student. I was involved in research and I was doing x, y and z extra. I was a rising star; I was going to get into graduate school and I was going to just be this amazing person.





Alright, that was the plan, and it was working. I remember as an undergrad I even got published as a first author in a refereed journal, and I was speaking at different conferences. I was doing all this great stuff, but I was completely neglecting myself. I wasn’t eating because that was too inconvenient, and I wasn’t sleeping because that took time away from work. I wasn’t socializing. All I did was school, and what was happening was that I was basically malnourishing and sleep depriving my body. My potassium levels were dropping and I didn’t know it. They kept dropping and one day I literally just fell over. It was almost a heart attack, but not quite, because my blood pressure dropped so low. I was standing over concrete at the time, and sustained a five inch occipital fracture on the back of my skull. I basically broke my head in half. For months, I struggled with memory problems, concentration problems, and I couldn’t engage or stay with anything “new” or academic.  Not like I’m this good, but I kind of felt like an Olympic athlete who was now in a wheelchair – because now: hell if I was going to go to graduate school!





Slowly my brain just kind of put itself back together. I mean, I missed-out on like a year of my life, but I was able to finish school and go to graduate school. But that really shook me, because I’m like, “Oh my God, I can’t work like that." So all through my master’s program I actually did very well with self-care. I mean every single weekend I was socializing with friends, I exercised, and I saw my own therapist (because in therapy school they encourage that). I actually think I did it very well.





But when I started my Ph.D. program – and Ph.D. programs are harder, like a lot harder than master’s programs – I slowly got back into the workaholism that I had during undergrad. But what really tore me apart then, from my perspective, and I want be fair to everybody involved (I mean I’m only one perspective)... But from my perspective, out of nowhere, my wife left me. I mean, we were even on the phone earlier that day about plans for that night.  And I came home and she and her dad were there with divorce papers.  And I literally never saw her again after that night. That destroyed me. And it took me a couple of years, I think, to hold myself accountable for that.  I don’t think that any break-up is a one way street; I think most in break-ups, both people are responsible for different goods or the bads that happen. But I took responsibility, in that I think I was neglecting her because I was more “married” to my school.  I think that she was in the right to leave me. I think she deserved better than that; I think anybody deserved better than that.






Moving forward, I knew that when you finish your Ph.D., you have no idea where you’re going to work.  I made a decision in that chapter of my life to not get into any serious relationships again until I was done with graduate school because, first of all, it wasn’t fair to my own heart because it took me a long time to get over my wife leaving me (because I adored her). With all of my heart, I adored her. That was a horrible loss. But I also knew that it wasn’t fair to my heart – or somebody else’s heart – to be in a new relationship and say, “Hey, the best job for me now is in Timbuktu!”





"God was up there, lining up the stars"





The year that I graduated, I applied to different faculty posts all over the country and the best one was back here at Minnesota. Frankly, I didn’t want to move back to Minnesota. I went to North Carolina for my internship, and I had I sold my Minnesota house. I good-willed all of my winter clothes, and I talked a lot of smack about never doing another Minnesota winter again. I had absolutely no intention to move back, because I had been told that it was really unlikely that I would be hired by the same University I earned my degree(s) from. I’m sure that God was up there lining up the stars, listening to me talk smack about not going back to Minnesota, when I was offered the best job. And so, Minnesota: that’s where I came. But it was before the housing bubble broke; when I returned I couldn’t even afford my own (old) house anymore; everything was still going up. I had to buy a whole 'nother wardrobe of winter clothes. I came here because that’s where the best job was (is), and that’s what you do when you have a Ph.D. and want to work in academia.





I was hired and then transitioned to what's called a “tenure-track” position. That means that you're under a microscope for the next, usually, six years. At the Medical School it’s nine. And every year they’re going to evaluate you and decide whether to keep you. A lot of people don't understand this, because they think that once you have a Ph.D., it’s like “Oh my god, you must make a lot of money and have a lot of job security!” – but we’re actually scared as hell. For the next six years, at least, administration decides whether or not they’re going to keep you based on how grant dollars you're bringing in, how many research papers your publishing, etc. Maybe you have the term “publish or perish” … the will let you go if you're not publishing enough and/or if you're not producing the research (that informs what you publish). At a Research-1 school like the University of Minnesota, teaching is important – but it’s a lot less important. So they'll look at your teaching evaluations, and as long as nobody's screaming from the rooftops that you're horrible, you're probably okay. It's primarily about the research, so for the next six years you hope that you're well enough, you know?





I think that the pre-tenure years for me were extraordinarily intense. I mean, at the Medical School the reason it's a nine-year program is because you’re so involved clinically. So, I was balancing a pretty much half-time clinical post at the same time I was aiming to get grants out the door. They say, whoever “they” is, that if you’re publishing three papers a year, and you get one grant out the door per year, that that’s “good enough.” That is NOT good enough. Because, if that is what you do, you’re going to sit down at your annual review and you’re going to be told you’re not succeeding yet. I don’t think I’ve ever only published three things in one year. One grant per a year is not-enough. But, early on you are a brand-new person, fresh out of the gate. Nobody knows your name yet. You don’t have a whole lot of credibility or credentials yet, so it's really hard to get your foot in the door – especially with preferred funders (like the NIH).  You’re counting every dollar and every publication – everything – because you want to get that good review at the end of each year. But along the way you can never feel settled, and I think that’s probably the biggest part of it psychologically.





At the University of Minnesota, I served on the IRB for a number of years. Probably one of the more visible ways that I’ve been connected to the University, though, is through the Office of Emergency Response and the Medical Reserve Corps. Because my one of my clinical specialties is in trauma and trauma response teams, I direct the mental health teams on our MRC. We respond to large-scale and small-scale events. Now that we’re partnered with the Minnesota Department of Health and the School of Public Health, we’ve invented self-care apps for the cellphone. I’m also involved in a student organization called “To Write Love on Her Arms.” It’s an undergrad organization, and I’ve been a faculty advocate for it. I helped them to get it off the ground.  I’m also currently on a search committee for a new faculty member in another department.


Tai and Ling (wife) on motorcycle trip.




A good question often comes up about University faculty, and that is: “Why the hell did you do it?”  I mean, the average workweek for a university professor in a R1 school fifty to sixty-five hours a week! Why do faculty put themselves through that? They’re on salary, they’re not paid by the hour… it doesn’t make sense. 



  

Even though, as a faculty member, you have to work a lot, you run your own show. The University doesn’t give a damn if I’m here at three o’clock in the morning or three o’clock in the afternoon. I’m not punching a time clock.  I’m not doing anything outside of what I set up for myself, and at the end of the year they’re going to look at how many grant dollars I have brought in and how many papers I’ve published. That’s all.  And I can do that from home. I can do that at night.  I can do that on an airplane.  I can do that on a beach with my laptop.  And the fact that I have that kind of latitude really makes sixty-five hours a week not really feel like that all that. If I’m tired or stressed, I can get up and I leave! I go home.  I’m not going to have my department head chase me down going, “It’s not five o’clock yet!”  And some days I do just go home.  I have a little sailboat that I play with on Lake Calhoun. I have my Harley, and my wife has her Harley, and sometimes we just say, you know, “Let’s go play!”  The University doesn’t micro-manage me. What it cares about is: Am I producing knowledge? Am I engaging students around that knowledge?  I adore this work. I love my research.  I love to write. I love my students, and it is so inspiring for me to engage with them.  And I think that they teach me more than I ever teach them.




Image References (in order of appearance):


 1. Mendenhall, Tai. “Tai Mendenhall 2014” Personal Photo. 2014. JPG file. Provided: Oct. 7 2015

2. Mendenhall, Tai. “Tai and Ling (Wife) on motorcycle trip” Personal Photo. Approx. 2013. JPG file. Provided: Oct. 7 2015



Story Contributors:


Kyle McEachran

Amanda Richter



No comments:

Post a Comment